mardi 18 mai 2010

SQL Server installation

So, I install MS SQL Server, I had not installed it in years, last version I installed was 2000. This time it is the 2008, express (free) edition. It wants to install .net, fine with me ... but it wants two distinct versions ... WTF? Again, backward compatibility is a pain with .net. Can't they at least port all their code to the latest version? losers!

The other thing that strikes me, the installation for .net takes ages, using 100%, in a vm ... but I can run a double-stack SAP instance in a vm on my box (it is pretty heavy gear) ... On the dialog it says: Download finished, you may disconnect from the internet ... does it think I use a 56k modem?

Well, I will have a look at this thing anyway, everybody deserves a 512th chance, right?

Well, anyway, after installing powershell I could continue installation. But it failed with the following message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup
------------------------------

The following error has occurred:

A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: e:\b79ad030129e84bb93122e9bed672fb5\1033_ENU_LP\x86\setup\x86\sqlwriter.msi

The weird thing is, guess what, e: is a local drive.

Anyway, I was installing over the network, the original installation file resides on my linux samba server (drive z:) and I installed to my e: drive. I copied it over and started the installation again, which worked.

Installing the "SQL Server Management Studio" was weird, as the installer made me doubt what I was installing ... it looked so much like the database installer and even the link to install it read database, not Management Studio ... I do not quite know why I installed that, osql does the job just as well ... ;-)

I do need to get used to typing go, though ... which is a bit weird, because I used to be accustomed to this, but 5 years of Oracle use have made me become lazy, especially after select statements.

Aucun commentaire: